White Bay is one of only two deep-water wharves west of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It is used for a variety of port uses, including bulk vessel loading and vessel repairs. The White Bay Cruise Terminal sits at the base of the Balmain escarpment. It is Sydney’s second cruise terminal to the Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay. The Destination offers extensive views towards the Sydney CBD, Pyrmont and ANZAC Bridge.
White Bay has the potential to be transformed with a diverse offering of working uses designed to complement all that is enjoyed in the existing neighbourhoods that sit next to White Bay. Integration of port and maritime industries with other employment uses could enhance the experience at White Bay for both Sydneysiders and visitors.
- Commencing in 2025
- Connecting Balmain Peninsula to the Bay
- Developing in a way that is sympathetic to, and integrated with, the environment in which it sits
- Integrating port, maritime, employment and recreation uses
- Providing staged public waterfront access
- Employing planning processes that will consider future uses of this Destination
This Destination is identified in The Transformation Plan: The Bays Precinct Sydney as a long-term priority with works commencing in 2022 and beyond, with an immediate action (2015-2019) regarding White Bay Cruise Terminal (see below.)